The Jameel World Education Lab builds on MIT’s strengths to transform the nature, reach, and quality of education for learners everywhere.
We leverage real-world experience and evidence-based approaches to tackle grand challenges in education in sustainable, scalable ways. Through our innovative projects, our collaborators gain new perspectives on teaching, learning, knowledge production, technology, and other ways to maximize impact with the resources they already have.
The Jameel World Education Lab promotes excellence and transformation in education by engaging with educators and leaders, along with employers, technologists, community representatives, and policymakers. Students, employees, and learners not in formal education, training, and employment are also key stakeholders. Jameel World Education Lab research scientists design and conduct educational research, and we also draw on practical field experience, for example through case study research and action research.
Our members are important drivers of our shared knowledge. Through online and in-person collaborations, workshops, research, and information-sharing events, Jameel World Education Lab members work with MIT faculty and staff to address global opportunities for scalable change in education. To fuel our own learning, our staff join every event, documenting insights as we go.
Drawing on what we learn with our members along with our own research and content we field from across MIT and other sources, the Jameel World Education Lab creates materials and content to share even more widely, through research publications, toolkits, downloadable papers, conference talks, and open events. Every collaboration contributes to our growing insights on implementation and localization challenges and opportunities.
And as we work on a selected slate of projects at different levels that address different challenges, the Jameel World Education Lab threads together findings to create a suite of knowledge products to benefit multiple stakeholders within the world’s education systems.
Some of the ways that the Jameel World Education Lab supports, shapes, learns from, and productizes innovations that could transform global education:
- We enable, document, and share educational innovations built on MIT experience, faculty innovations, and research, including new approaches enabled by our own grants.
- We scout for and syndicate learning science insights that could benefit many.
- We nurture and disseminate practical approaches to upgrading courses, curricula, educational technology, and teaching models, all in order to improve learning.
- We explore and share every good idea that we see working in multiple settings, especially those that harness MIT strengths and knowhow.
- We hunt for routes to innovation dissemination and replication, including any policy insights, putting applicability, contextualization, and generalizability at the fore.
- We build networks and collaborations to spur action, sharing learning and resources while equipping champions with frameworks, examples, and more.
- We identify and share practical approaches to technology selection, capacity development, governance, technology selection, institutional and program sustainability, and cost-effectiveness.
- We enable, search for, and share insights for transforming ecosystem engagement, for reimagining educational pathways, and for building innovation pipelines that connect academia to society and markets.
- We invest in understanding how careers are shifting, how learner experience can be improved, and how diverse capabilities and life experiences strengthen learning and education.
- We develop new collaborations to fuel innovation for local markets, communities, industry, and educators everywhere.